Monday, September 9, 2013

Glorious Mornings

September is here again and today it is especially crisp, though tomorrow will bring with it the heat and humidity of a regular summer day. Nature has graced us with the Morning Glory, the most beautiful of late summer flowers. I planted some a number of years ago and have always marveled as the vines slowly climb and expand across the backyard fence and over the roses in the front yard. I even see vines growing profusely from the cracks in the sidewalk where the ambitious wind has driven their seeds. I originally purchased dark pink/magenta plants, but the bees have been busy these past few years, cross-pollinating with the purple flowers. This year has brought the purple and pink together and I admire them in the early morning, cascading in collusion. Morning Glories are the biggest tattle tales I know, wrapping themselves around my idle rake and hand mower. And they have crawled across the lawn, which I have truly neglected since the beginning of August. As September moves forward, memories of summer flowers become hazy while the Morning Glories shine on through the first hard frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment