Thursday, April 18, 2013

O Mexico! -- For the Love of Mexican Vintage

One of my storefront categories on my website is "O Mexico." I have a thing about Mexican art and craftsmanship, especially stuff done for the tourist trade from the 1930s to the 1970s. One of my earliest memories regarding Mexican art revolves around my father's trip to Mexico when my family lived in Arizona in the early Sixties. When he returned, he had pop guns for my brothers and a pair of moroccos for me. They were a deep maroonish color with hand painted flowers on them. So beautiful ... It has been my good fortune to find many hand crafted items such as the moroccos over the years and they grace their presence in my shop whenever I can find them. With the drug cartels controlling much of what goes on in Mexico right now, I often wonder how the artisans who relied so much on tourist revenue are getting along. Here's a sampling of these gifted artisans' vintage wares:

No comments:

Post a Comment