Sunday, November 4, 2012

Gothic Throne Chair

Like many worn out items I am drawn to when scouting out new finds, I thought this would be an easy fix, and after all, it had great bones. When I realized this was not going to be so easy, my affable partner once again came to my rescue and helped me with the reupholstery after driving truck all day. He worried that I didn't have enough fabric, and I thought there was plenty. In exasperation he said to me "the material has to go in the same direction front and back. Do you want this to look cheap?" Luckily, I did have just enough and for over a week he fitted and cursed and told me not to bring home another thing in this kind of condition as he had so many times in the past. This is a piece from the Gothic Revival movement of the 1920s. It has a nice paisley variation fabric and is ready for you to recline in next to the fireside after a hard day's work. Measurements are 49" at the highest point of the back and the arm width is a roomy 24" across. Depth of the seat is 23", a very comfortable foam seat that once you sink into, you don't want to leave. The solid frame is in the original finish. The feet could use new caps, but other than that, it's in fine vintage shape. Most importantly my vision came to fruition at the hands of my partner, a good man indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment